Please click here to see the Eatwell Guide. Are you eating healthily?
Do you buy snacks on the way to College like crisps and chocolate instead of having breakfast? Did you know that the College Caterer offers a breakfast service from 8:15am each day? Prices start from as little as £0.25p and are cooked to order. Come along and ring Jan’s bell and have breakfast at College – start your day the right way.
The Nutritional Standards for School Lunches do not allow sweets, chocolate or savoury snacks such as crisps, fizzy pop and other high sugar drinks to be served by our in-house Caterer, so if you want to take the guess-work out of what a balanced healthy meal should contain let the Caterer, Alliance in Partnership, do the work for you. A Main Meal & Pudding Deal is currently £2.12 per day.
- If you prefer to bring lunch from home, the following foods are suggested as what a healthy lunch box should include:
- A good portion of starchy food, for example wholemeal roll or bread, wraps, pitta pocket, pasta or rice salad.
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables, for example an apple, satsuma, handful of cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks, mini-can of fruit chunks in natural juice or a small box of raisins.
- A drink of semi-skimmed milk or a portion of dairy food, for example individual cheese portion or pot of yogurt.
- A portion of lean meat, fish, eggs or beans, for example ham, chicken, beef, tuna, egg or hummus.
- A drink, for example unsweetened fruit juice, semi-skimmed milk or water.
Food Allergies – The Caterer has to adhere to strict guidelines with regards to the ingredients they use whilst cooking because of the potential for somebody to have an allergic reaction. If you bring food in from home, you are also asked to be mindful of others around you who may have a food allergy or intolerance. We have students in College who are allergic to all sorts of things including nuts – peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews and almonds – so please try to avoid foods and snacks with these ingredients.
There are a number of water fountains located throughout the College where students are encouraged to fill a water bottle brought from home. Fizzy, sugary and energy drinks are not allowed in College.
One last thing – just a reminder that chewing gum is a banned item at College. You should not be chewing gum at all – even at social times.