EMC’S Cluster School of the Month goes to…
St. Michael’s C of E Primary School Bodenham
St. Michael’s is a Faith school who is Voluntarily Aided by the Local Authority, and is very much under the umbrella of the Church, with many links to the Diocese of Hereford. As a School they feel this adds immeasurably to the ethos and the experience of their children and staff.
Their mission statement is short but it says what they feel is important for their school to do:
“To enable high quality learning in a safe and caring Christian environment, to prepare all pupils physically, mentally and spiritually for their future.”
So, what’s been happening at St. Michael’s recently?
- Apple Pressing Day – On the 14th of October 2015 the whole school, a class at a time, made apple juice using some kindly offered apple juicing and pressing equipment bought in by Layla Jackson. We were very grateful to have a helpful group of parents come in and explain each step to the children. We would like to thank everyone for the kindly donated apples. We had a great time and hope that we can do it next year! (Lexi, Year 4)
- Election Time – Our School Council exists to represent the children in their class and bring forward their ideas and issues to the rest of the school, including the Parents and Staff. It is a very important role that carries a lot of responsibility. On Thursday 22nd October we held our elections for our School Council representatives for each class. We decided to explore the fundamental British value of Democracy by finding out about how our country runs elections in real life. We then ran an election involving speeches written by the children, explaining what they would do if they were elected. We finished by voting in our official polling booth. It was a very interesting and exciting time in school. The votes were counted and the winners duly announced later in the day!
- Remembrance Sunday – Sunday 8th November, Mr Wilson represented the School at the local service in Bodenham. A wreath was left on behalf of St. Michael’s Primary School.
- Children in Need 2015 – This year for Children In Need we dressed up as childhood heroes. We also built our traditional penny line around the school.
- Pudding and Quiz Night – Thank you to everyone who was able to come along to school for our Parents’ Association Pudding and Quiz Night on Thursday evening. A good time was had by all and lots of calories were consumed, as there was a lovely selection of tasty puddings available to sample. Thank you also to everyone who was able to bring along a pudding to share. We will now have to hold a few Fitness and Quiz nights to make up for it all, before we have any more!
After School Provision: “Team Bees”, runs after school on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays until 5.30pm. On Thursdays “Spotlight” will run as usual until 5.00p.m. We hope that this is a useful service for families and that it will be used by people.
There is now a link on our school website to the booking page of the Team Bees website, for bookings:
However, if you need to use the service in an emergency, you MUST book by telephoning Sharon Corfield on 07834787858. The school office cannot book you in for insurance reasons. This applies to any child who needs to be here after 3.30pm unless they are attending a school club.
Maths Calculations Session – Advance warning that we will be holding a Maths Calculations information session for Parents and Carers on Tuesday 1st December at school. This will be aimed at the Parents and Carers of older children (ie: Years 3, 4, 5 and 6). During this time we will be unpacking different written methods used by the children to solve maths problems and carry out calculations. The idea is then to give Parents, etc. more confidence when helping their children at home. As in previous events, we will make sure that childcare is available for those families who need it.
Christmas Fayre: Advanced warning that our Parents’ Association Christmas Fayre is being held at school on Saturday 12th December, from 2.00—4.00p.m.